21 June 2010

Chloe Bear is Three!

No, we didn't give her a bowl full of pacifiers. Instead, we bid a far-overdue farewell to Chloe's good buddy the bink. Oh pacifier, that seemingly innocuous soother, little did we know you would become the bane of our existence! After chickening out at one year-old, and again at two, we finally bit the bullet...My ingenious plan, after auditioning several different send-off scenarios which were resoundingly rejected (NO to giving them to the Doctor for new babies, NO to the binky fairy), was to PLANT them and see what grows. I seeded the idea with suggestions of playsets and slides for the yard--maybe if we plant the binkies, a playset will GROW!
Looking a little sad, aren't we? I swear, she dug the hole happily, and covered them with dirt willingly... Even watered them and sang "bye-bye binky, bye-bye binky" and did a little dance around the yard.
That night it took 3 hours and a lot of tears before she finally fell asleep without the pacifier for the first time maybe ever. Before she did, though, she lamented: "Why did we plant ALL the binkies? I wish I kept some..."

The next morning (really really early), the little slide/climber greeted her, and she was overjoyed--"It worked! A playset grew!!"

She didn't forget instantaneously. Everyone said it takes 3 nights or so. Naps are still tough, but I am SO glad she doesn't have that piece of plastic stuck to her face, garbling her words anymore.
It's now 6 nights later, it's her 3rd birthday and she said to me as I was turning out the lights: "I want to plant the playset, Mommy."

Will she ever forgive me?!?

6 comments:

heather said...

What a fabulous story!

erinrwillis said...

What a cool way to say "bye" to the paci!! When Alison turned three, we tied the pacis to a balloon and sent them into the sky.

Happy birthday to Chloe!

Cassie said...

That is genius!!!!!!
What a fabulous idea!!!
=)

Lori W said...

what a fab idea! you're wicked smaht!
those kids just get cuter and cuter!
miss you. xo

Quirky Momma said...

Happy Birthday C! Congrats on being passy-less!

Krystina said...

That is a great idea Judean, I'll have to remember that once all of Kyra's 2-year molars come in. I hope she will get over it as well as Miss Chloe. Great job!