27 June 2010

Another one about the birthday...

We survived the party...it wasn't looking so good there for a bit, when naps went out the window all week, and weather forecasts called for thunderstorms Saturday afternoon, I totaled up our guest-list and realized I went crazy-overboard with the invites apparently (22 adults and 18 kids, really? for a 3 year-olds birthday party??)...

BUT, the disposition remained cheerful, the weather held, I actually managed to make enough whoopie pies for all of our guests have have some left over, and--most importantly--everyone (and most importantly, the birthday girl) had fun!
*I* had fun making party decorations--Martha's tissue paper pom-poms, the kitty-cat garland, and the whoopie-pie toppers (more about the garland and toppers at The Galblog on Tuesday). Making the whoopie pies was a lot of work, but everyone seemed to really enjoy them. I used recipes from this fun book that David gave me for mother's day (yes, I love them that much).

The chocolate cat lollipops came from The Chocolatier, my aunt's store in Exeter, NH. Gorgeous day-lilies from our front yard :)
In keeping with the kitty cat theme, we had a craft table for the kids to make collars to go with the ears I made ahead of time (see the craft table in action there, behind a dubious-looking C-bear?)
Here's my Dad modeling the ears and collar...
We also had a fishing pond...cats love fish, right?!? You can see the kid in red wearing the cat mask, and pulling a paper fish out of the swimming pool with the magnetic "fishing pole." Good times!
We had sprinkler fun...
And swimming in the kiddie-pool fun...
Cute baby fun...
...times two!Twins with twins fun:
And I even got a chance to sit with Chloe for a few minutes (note the mama kitty ears):
One of the things we tried this year was asking people to bring donations for Cradles to Crayons, and it was a big success! We collected a ton of new clothes, toys and books that we'll drop off for needy kids, hopefully the start of a tradition of giving that Chloe (and Peter and Sadie, eventually) will come to cherish around birthday time.

I'll leave you with one last shot...one that makes my heart happy.
That's Chloe, moments before the first guests arrive. Moments after sitting on the potty all on her own and FINALLY using it :)

5 comments:

erinrwillis said...

What a fun weekend!
Those whoopie pies look good. I want one.

LOVE that action shot of Chloe in the sprinkler.

Kimmie said...

Yay for using the potty! That is a HUGE deal!!

The party looks so fun! You got some great photos... I bet you're going to have a blast scrapping all those shots!

Krystina said...

She looks so beautiful. I'm glad the weather held and you had such a fun day for her.

And big YAY for using the potty!!

Leah said...

I particularly love the pic of your dad wearing the cat ears. hehe.

And yay to Chloe for using the potty on her own!!

Sadia said...

Your kids are just adorable!